Monday, November 28, 2011

A long time coming..

Just days shy of 18 months since I was a teacher, well, I am still a teacher, but since I was in my own class..I begin again tomorrow. Tomorrow begins 112 days of hilarious, temperamental, smelly, dramatic, spirited, cheerful 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. I am taking over the severe needs class of a very deserving adoptive mother who is heading out on maternity leave for the remainder of the year. I am thankful for her discipline and organization, the incredible team I will be working with, the sweet group of students I get to spend my days with, and the opportunity for another chance in the place that I love!

The past 18 months have been some of the most difficult for me. I have experienced all of the stages of grief in some way or another and in multiple cycles. It is amazing how loss can affect your life and day to day operations. I have felt betrayed, at times worthless, ultimately undefined..wondering "why am I here?" Today this feeling was demolished! Even if only a short-term position, guaranteed to end with the school year, it is promise. It gives me purpose.

I have had the best support I could ask for leading up to this day from friends, former colleagues and current bosses. I got the sweetest card last night from one of the best to wish me luck in the future and congratulate me on finally getting back to where I want to be. I also started the morning with a few encouraging messages on my phone. I am constantly floored by the amazing people in my life!

I am nervous, overwhelmed, excited, and exhausted. I know that once I get into the swing of things with this crew the daily grind will be a breeze but until then, I must sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment