Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sweet catastrophe!

I want to be in this picture (with those beautiful shoes)..



..In this gown..


Okay, fantasies aside, this weekend was my friend Becca's bridal shower so I decided to make her some sweet treats for the party. I had seen some very clean cupcakes similar to these in a book somewhere and have been dreaming of them ever since. They didn't turn out as perfect as I had hoped but I was working with some new flavors.


It is a rich chocolate cake with a fresh strawberry in the center, a vanilla-white chocolate frosting, and some edible pearls on top.

I almost always make some flavored variation of a fluffy cream cheese frosting for my cupcakes because I am not into frosting - too sweet for me! I didn't have much time to commit this time around so I doctored up some store-bought can frosting with melted white chocolate. I had trouble making the new texture look as pretty as my usual fluffy frosting.

In the meantime I remembered that a friend had recently showed me her new white cupcake tree and thought it would be perfect to feature my cupcakes. I went to her house first, just a few minutes from the party, to stage the treats. I took them to my car and hit the road. Unfortunately I had forgotten about the weight of the strawberries inside the cupcakes and a few of them immediately did back flips off of the tree. One of them completely fell apart and made a mess of the tree so I decided I couldn't salvage, borrowed a plate and took them into the party. This photo is from my phone while they were still on the tree in my car (you can see one flipped in the background). My beautiful display didnt work out as planned but they were still loved by all!


No comments:

Post a Comment