Monday, July 25, 2011

Everybody needs a little crazy..

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!"
— Jack Kerouac
I have a range of friends all good for different parts of my life..they say people come into your life for a reason. Three years ago I met Jim at the perfect time. I was depressed and in a funk and he turned my world upside down that first night. That's what he's good for and he's done it again. He came into town from Denver with some friends looking to go camping for the weekend. I had spent the entire day brunching with friends, playing sand volleyball and hanging out at a music festival. (All of this with unrequited love by my side..) Jim messaged that he was coming into town to meet some friends and hopefully we could catch up. Some music by the fire at the bar and some very insightful conversation later and somehow I was on a motorcycle going camping. This is Jim.
I mentioned that I had wanted to go camping on my three day weekend but a birthday and concerts were stuck in the middle. Tired from the day and running out of energy for the concerts I mentioned that I might just go home soon - big mistake. With some heavy peer pressure and promises of campfire, good friends, and a mini-break from life I found myself stashing my bike in a friends garage, layering up in my jacket and his hoodie, and jumping on the back of his motorcycle headed for Pearl Lake.
The ride was cold...freezing. (I suppose his may have been worse in just a t-shirt because I had all of the layers) Once we got there, painfully numb, it didn't take long to defrost in front of a roaring fire while introducing myself to the crew playing Taboo - they will all forever know me as "Teach". We played Taboo, ate some leftovers, and crashed. My make-shift-tent-bed-thing had the best view on the site of a clear sky and the moon reflecting across Pearl Lake. I may have been freezing but it was beautiful and a nice surprise-ending to my long hot day.
When I feel I've hit bottom, my priorities are in the wrong place, or I just can't get out of my funk...enter Jim.
Today I am grateful for the friends that come and go just to shake things up in your life. We may not always welcome them at the time but they give us a new outlook and keep things fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment