Thursday, December 15, 2011

Smile from the inside out.

Tomorrow will mark three weeks of teaching at the middle school and the last day before winter break. Fifteen days of quiet that I can say I have truly earned over the last three weeks. Now don't get the wrong idea, I am not complaining that I need a break due to stress, I LOVE this job. Mine is the first car in the parking lot in the morning and I am often one of the last to leave (if I haven't run off to my second job) in the afternoon - and it is because I love being there. I enjoy trying to figure out my hectic schedule, where my paras are, the varied schedules of each of my students and how they all work at the same time. I like spending quiet time planning and copying without interruption. I like having a space, a space that is mine, to work in.

I have been invited to a committee to decide students to fit in the one percent of our district for an alternative state test. I was introduced with the kindest words at the staff meeting and valued in team meetings. With the common printer in my room, I have experienced the warmest welcome from neighbors checking on my progress and comfort each time they stop by for their papers. The front office has genuinely welcomed me with friendly conversation with each visit. Classroom teachers have welcomed me and openly offered support with our shared students. Over the past few days I have gotten Christmas gifts in the form of cards, ornaments and snacks from both teachers and students.

Today, with the help of one of my super-positive paras, I got a mostly blind student with very limited motor skills to climb about eight feet of our in-school climbing wall. She was spectacular! I was so proud and I know that she was also. What an amazing moment of empowerment and independence..I'm smiling from the inside out and it feel so good.

I just spent almost two hours writing thank you's in the form of Christmas cards. I love notes, cards, Thank yous, letters. I love collecting them, writing them, giving them, mailing them. I have had this box of Christmas cards with snowmen in my collection for a few years now and they were perfect for the job. I wrote to each teacher on my team, each of the paras, both administrators and to a certain someone who has been the greatest support through all of my toughest times lately. I could barely keep it together when thinking about the incredible support and warm welcome I have received throughout this experience. I am so grateful for all of my recent good fortune!

With a few new ornaments to decorate and so many wonderful things happening, I have decided that I really need a little Christmas in my life. I am going to cut a Christmas tree this weekend and spend some time decorating. Even if it is just for me I think it will really brighten up an already happy season. I have so many people and experiences to be thankful for and I think some twinkly lights and sparkle are just what I need to toss the rest of this funk out of my life. It's time to bring the happy back!

No comments:

Post a Comment