Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Like I need a reminder?

But here are a few of my favorite reminders that I live in paradise...


This is a pretty common photo of the place that I call home! It is on books, decks of cards, t-shirts, coffee mugs, and countless other souvenirs. Rather often it shows up in the paper with the same view only slightly varied depending on the season. In just two months, I will celebrate my five year anniversary in this beautiful bubble in the rockies and still I look at this view daily and am amazed and grateful to be surrounded by so much beauty.

There are a few other views in town, though, that really make me giddy inside and feel an internal connection to my mountain home.


rolling into SPRING!!

I moved here a few short months after falling in love with this little ski town following a short visit. While that is the reason I chose to come here, ultimately it was for a job teaching at the high school in the fall of 2007. This is a common view of the SSHS football/soccer/lacrosse field in the early spring. While most schools are getting outside to practice for upcoming sports seasons, we in the bubble are usually still getting dumped on with snow. The only way for our teams to get practice time in, outside of practicing in the gym, is to plow the snow off the field. The lacrosse team practices with neon balls so that they can be found in the snow and they hit the field daily, snow or not. This is such a unique and special image for me after a long work day with short winter hours. As the sun goes down and the temperature drops, these athletes are happily hitting the field...in the snow! *picture borrowed from www.steamboattoday.com


here comes SUMMER!!

This happens to be the boyfriend of the previously mentioned amazing forever friend but he, while also amazing, is not the view I wish to speak of. The favorite moment here is in late spring, locally called "mud season", when the mountain is closed and there is still a ton of snow and it is hot out but still too muddy to hit the trail with your mountain bike..THIS is what the lunch hour looks like in Steamboat. People hop on their bikes with skis (over the shoulder, like Pete, or strategically mounted to the bike) to commute to an easy hike nearby and get some sunny spring turns in. This is dedication to a sport..or two! I, however, do not trust myself to be this coordinated but it puts a smile on my face every time!

Another favorite view, while not as adventurous, is the car with loaded Thule box or rack on top and a loaded bike rack on the back. I know just the subaru I am thinking of, now to hurry and get the picture!



SUMMER is here...or it might be soon!

Mud season also means river season around here. If the snow is melting that means the river is rising and tubing is not just a novelty when you live in this town. Tubing starts early, sometimes too early, when the water is flowing and often still frigid. Most people around the age of fun own their own tube and most likely have a strategy for carrying beverages, special blends of cocktails for such occasions, how to transport 6 people with full tubes in a clown-car fashion, and can tell you the best spots on the river to get in, get out, flip over...whatever your looking for, these guys have the details! I really wanted this to be a picture of a tiny car with tubes on top and being held out the window, as I have done many times, but I seriously couldn't find one. Maybe soon..it is about that time again!


There really are so many things that truly define this town for me but these are the top..the Best of the Boat, if you will! I was truly inspired to write this early this morning when driving to school. Today was "Bike and Hike to School Day" and on my way in I passed young twin boys (10?) riding side-by-side to school on uni-cycles.  With helmets and backpacks on, they cheerfully peddled their way to school. While I am crushed that I did not get a picture of them, I figured my job as a teacher would be compromised if I took my eyes off the road, in a school zone, next to some wobbly uni-cyclers and other distracted motorists, to take a picture with my phone! Stupid conscience! They were adorable! TRUST!




No comments:

Post a Comment